Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Week 1: Feed Me Seymour vs The Nervous Nellies

Greetings and salutations!  Welcome to another battle report for week one of Malifaux greatness. 

Strategy: Turf War
Schemes: Plant Explosives, Spring the Trap, Assassinate, Breakthrough
Deployment: Flank

(Editor's note: We played 2 games at my house on Tuesday.  The main table has one of the games, and I set up a second folding card table for the 2nd game.  The card table is 34.5" by 34.5", so it is slightly too small for the board, not to mention cards, drinks, markers, etc.  Plus, it is about 2 inches lower than the big table.  We flipped to see who got to play on the bigger table, Joe beat me)
Ty and and I sat down at the big boy table.  Man, we had so much space.  You know that feeling.  Flying coach for so long, couped up back by the galley or worse, the shitter.  Then you get bumped up to first class.  So much room for activities.  We even let the other two use some of our space.  Although I think Ty might have had some of Chad's beer.

First turn was uneventful.  Ty's Strongam Suit and Freikopsmann (I think) headed off one way, towards the side of the map.  Hanna moved up a skoche and went defensive. Katrina moved up next to Hanna and Student of Conflict just hung out where she started.  Most of my crew moved up towards the center.  Two illuminated began flanking.  The Depleted and Hungering Darkness went straight up the center.  I am going to have to talk to this Beckoner though.  She did NOT do her job this game.  I was upset.  But also, every time she tried to Lure the Strongam Suit...the next turn...Ty would use 1 AP to move the Suit exactly as if he had been lured...had he not cheated to win and stop the Beckoner.  This happened 2 or 3 times.

Turn Two shots were fired, casts were struck.  A little bit of damage here and there on the front lines.  We each get 1 VP for Turf War and Ty gets 2 VP for Spring the Trap.

Turn Three, things started to really get good.  The Depleted and Hungering Darkness moved in after my Illuminated sprayed Brilliance over Hannah.  This helped take her down...or so I thought.  Ty dropped a Soulstone and flipped high, preventing 3 damage.  Not as dead as I thought.  Some slight tactical movement from our other troops and swings (and some damage) were taken on the Illuminated and Depleted.  Katrina dies, no injury.  Ty was also able to take down Hungering Darkness.  No injury.  Ty reveals Assassinate for 3 VPs.  I swing some more at Hannah with another save from Ty.  At the end of the turn, we dropped Guild Guards.  I thought it was at the end of turn 3.  This is more than I can say for what happened on the kiddie table.  We each get 1 VP for Turf War again.

Turn Four, Ty won initiative and killed the Depleted.  No injury.    I thought about turtl'ing at this point.  Instead, the Illuminated took out Hanah, AGAIN.  I reveal Assassinate for 3 VPs.  Strongam Suit decides to get up in the other Illuminated's face and conveniently places himself between me and a close Guild Guard.  The Illuminated takes a couple of great swings and knocks a bit of health off the Suit.  The Beckoner uses an 1 AP to shove her base contact Guild Guard 6" so that they both will be attacking the Suit at the end of turn.  Damage to the Suit from the Guards.  No damage from the other ones, also attacking Ty's crew.  I get 1 VP for Turf War.

Turn Five and Ty won initiative.  We both start calculating points.  Against the kiddie tables' advice, Ty does not defer initiative.  Student moves up and gets killed.  Strongam Suit perishes.  And Ty earns his new title "1 Scrip > Preventing a Win" by choosing to kill a second Guard instead of locking down the other Illuminated.  I move up and drop a Scheme for Breakthrough.  I get a VP for Turf War and one VP for Breakthrough.  I win 8 to 7.

---------
Turn Four Turtle Thoughts:
  • It was a great game.  Malifaux IS a great game.  I'm getting the hang of Brilliance timing.  Not getting the hang of when to get Hungering Darkness into the fray without him perishing before his heal.
  • Models with Armour +2 should be banned, that's bullshit Ty.  Also Lazarus Hannah is crazy.  The Nellies were a lot of fun to play against.  It's extremely funny to me that we each had a crew member (Beckoner and Student) move ONLY in the last round of the game. 
  • Terrain placement was great, thanks for having that setup Brody.

No comments:

Post a Comment