Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Week 1: MC Hammer and the Pyros vs Feed Me Seymour

Hello gentlemen and welcome to another Malibreaux's battle report.  I know what you are thinking, "darn it, Brody is writing another battle report?!"  Don't worry, it isn't as bad as you think...

Setup:
We flip normal deployment and squatters right for the strat.
Our scheme options were
Make them suffer, assassinate, take prisoner, protect territory, and line in the sand.
No schemes are revealed, but we each took assassinate, Joe took make them suffer, and I took take prisoner.


One of my mages could come to the fight because of a previous issue, so I fielded 29ss of models and got a 7 ss cache.
Joe originally tried to bring his cheater crew, but remembered as he was setting up that he had to swap an illuminated for a different cheaper mode.  It was a clever trick, because I had written down the model he swapped out as the target of Take prisoner. I realized the issue in turn 2 and swapped targets.

One of the mottos of Malifaux is "bad things will happen" and that was very true in this game.  The black joker was a big player.
image1.jpeg

Turn 1 was mostly positioning.  I used the captains push ability to get one of my mages into base contact with a squat marker.

Turn 2, Joe wins activation and moves up to melee with my mage, denying him the option of interacting with the marker.  The mage dodges most of the damage however.  I charge the captain into the fight and get 2 solid hits against me smiley face.  My mage activated and pinged the his leader for 2 damage.  He spends a SS to damage prevent, and flips the black joker.  His leader dies!  flips the squat marker with his 2nd.  I also get 3 VP for assasinate. Joe gets some solid hits in on the captain to get him down to 2 wounds left, but he makes it through the round.  My gunsmith flips another squat marker and I end the turn up 4-0.  Runaway victory!

Turn 3 sees joe pull the gunsmith into a tar pit and take a swing at the captain.  I flip the black joker on defense, letting JoJo cheat the damage and hit for 5 damage.  Only a red joker on the damage prevention flip would have saved him, and I had the red joker in my hand, so the captain is dead!  JoJo flips assassinate and scores 3 VP.  We trade a little more damage getting a couple models down, but not out.  
The guild guards throw 3 damage onto one of my mages, but don't do much else. I score another point for squatters rights
Brody - 5, Joe - 3

Turn 4 has Joe kill my gunsmith, which will give him 1 VP each turn for Make then suffer since he was my only minion.  Before he dies though, he kills joes depleted.  I kill a beckoner and Joe kills a mage.  No injuries for any of those guys. I get squatters rights, JJB gets make them suffer.  Joe takes a few hits from the guild guards, but nothing major.
Brody - 6, Joe - 4

Turn 5.  At this point, I have 1 mage left blocking the middle squat marker with 2 wounds left.   Joe has an illuminated in melee with the mage, and a beckoner off to the side.  I win initiative and go defensive stance.  We did have a funny exchange where I tried to take a walk action with the mage:  Joe made the disengaging strike.  I flipped a 2, he flipped a 10.  I declined to cheat, and Joe cheated in a 1 (he wanted to me leave the marker).  sadly, the 1 made joes attack a 7, and the 2 made my defense a 7 as well, so he was unsuccessful in losing the duel!  Joe tries to kill the mage with the beckoner but wife.  He then takes a swing with the illuminated.  I have cards in my hand to keep the mage alive, but another black joker shows up.  Down goes the mage, and suffers an injury to boot.  Joe flips the marker with his second AP, denying me a VP.  He scores another point for make them suffer.
Brody - 6, Joe -5

Joe flips for game end, and turns a 9.  My forces eek out the victory, as Joe would have gotten two easy VP had it gone another round.

We didn't kill any guild guards so no extra scrip.  Joe bought a bounty (can't remember which one) and one of my mages can no longer take interact actions.  I have a scary suspicion that is going to bit me in he arse at some point.

Thoughts
I love this game
Joe's crew is pretty fun.  I liked playing against them, and I bet he has fun with them.  Seem like they might have some nice tricks one he gets to know all their abilities.
My crew is still terrible, just really really lucky the first two games.  However I do have enough scrip now to buy all of those upgrades!  Woohoo

No comments:

Post a Comment